Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 08/22/2013 22:32:55 EDT
Subject: RE: Signal Poles und Joint Sockets

Message Detail:
The National Museum, a.k.a. Smithsonian may have had a set of signal staff or two at one time, along with a couple of torches but they have no idea where such might be 'so they say'. To date, we have not been able to locate an extant set of authenticated war-time jointed poles or even a signal kit bag (early or late war).

As to photo of an operator holding a pole with signal flag atop the roof at Winder station, I think the photographer performed a little 19th century photo shop on it. I was referring to the quite visible ferrule seen on the torchman's flag staff. Remember, it was the two middle joints that were employed with the flying torch which made it a thicker swing. I could actually see using the three bottom joints for the torch for long distances if waved a bit more slowly.

As you your line: "... the flag-man holding an exceptionally longer and thicker pole than the field kit.", this may have been the station's 'I'm open' flag and may have been pressed into service especially for the staged photo. You'l notice that the flagman standing with the attached torch has a slightly thinner jointed pole. I can't help but believe that this flagman's brass ferrules are threaded, and not the called-for bayonet style.

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword