Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 05/20/2010 21:40:25 EDT
Subject: RE: Mission accomplished

Message Detail:
Tks for the kind words, Tom. It might be interesting and useful to us to have a sample of the audience reaction: What seemed to impress them most, or to surprise them?
Did they seem to grasp the implication for reappraisal of the familiar battles? Were there questions raised for which you were unprepared or felt more information might be generated by our research?

Some years back, at the DC CWRT, Ed Bearss was our speaker and in the Q&A session I asked a question about the signal corps, for it had not been mentioned, and I said I was perplexed that they were present -- apparently on both sides -- but seldom even indexed, let alone considered for their role, plus or minus. It seems to me that the "average historian" is so ignorant of the role of communication (and intelligence)that he doesn't ask the questions of himself, nor bother to index the subject when it is touched upon. (A rare exception is Fairfax Downey's 1960 study, "Storming of the Gateway.") Audience feedback might help us correct the situation.

How are you coming with your study of intelligence at Gettysburg?

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword