Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Tom Ryan on: 05/10/2010 08:54:02 EDT
Subject: RE: Signal Corps as C3 or C3I

Message Detail:
Dave, From a "control" perspective (verifying and correcting activity), would not it be appropriate to consider a commander's initiative in sending signal personnel out on patrol and as scouts on the battlefield and surrouning area to gather info about the strength and position of the enemy for use in devising/revising a plan of attack and/or defense? Also, signal/observation stations might be considered a combat control mechanism in that they were tasked to gather specific info as input for the commander's decision-making process during the heat of battle. Then there is the positive effect of signal stations simply "being there." For example, the decision by Longstreet at Gettysburg to delay his attack on July 2 and countermarch his troops to avoid being seen by the Union signal station on Little Round Top (L. was following Lee's orders to move to the battlefield unseen by the enemy). I may be reaching a bit here, but it is interesting to consider whether certain commander's actions on a battlefield should be considered a rudimentary form of "control" in the more modern sense. Tom
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword