Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 05/09/2010 22:02:44 EDT
Subject: RE: Signal Corps as C3 or C3I

Message Detail:
That pretty well sums it up. Recalling that the root meaning of strategy is "generalship," the refinements and enlargements of today tend to make people forget that the two were combined during "Our War," when a major general drew sabre and slashed his opponent, blurring the modern distinction between strategic and tactical. I would add that the 1860s concept evolved along the lines you suggest, starting with commo. Since there was no modern concept of intel, the contribution of sigs to "information" (both from direct observation and from interception of enemy comms) came to be realized. Control may have come about later, for there was reluctance to place something as critical as "control in battle" on a system subject to climate and elements and other factors deemed less reliable than a staff officer or face-to-face orders. Not all cdrs learned that; not all SigOs realized that. The war, in that sense, was too short for doctrine to evolve. It had to be be rediscovered the hard way (the traditional American way) in the War with Spain a generation later and came through the radio era of yet another generation.

(In a talk some years back to D.C. area SUV, I reminded them that the Army branch that started with one man, A.J. Myer, in less than a century bounced radar signals off the surface of the moon.)

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword