Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Tom Ryan on: 04/23/2010 11:08:52 EDT
Subject: RE: Guilford Station on the Map? Nope... But Sterling Is

Message Detail:
Walt, thanks much. This is very helpful. Since the signal station and the telegraph office at Reynold's HQ apparently were not in the same location but were close by, my best guess is that messages were passed between the two by courier rather than by flag. Is that a fair assumption?
In other words when Gen. Dan Tyler on Maryland Heights sent info to his commander Gen. Hooker in Fairfax the message traveled by flag from MH to Sugar Loaf Mtn (possibly through the station at Point of Rocks) and by flag to Guilford station. Then by courier to Reynold's HQ telegraph office, and from there on a direct line with Hooker's HQ in Fairfax.
Another question in this scenario that arises is how much time (conditions being relatively good) would it take to send a message by flag and wire from MH to Fairfax?
Timliness is important in my contention that the Union Signal Corps played a significant role in blocking the passage of Stuart's cavalry through the Union army on June 25, 1863. Regards, Tom
P.S. In Brown's description of the linkage between Fairfax and MH (page 358) he makes a reference to a station in Leesburg. I do not quite understand what he means, unless he is using "Leesburg" as a reference to Guilford station which is generally in the Leesburg area. Any thoughts on this?
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword