Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Tom Ryan on: 04/22/2010 15:00:24 EDT
Subject: Gulford station on the map?

Message Detail:
In an earlier post on another subject I mentioned that the Union Signal Corps had established a comms connection from Maryland Heights across from Harper's Ferry all the way to Union HQ at Fairfax. This was in June 1863. According to Brown's book on page 358, the route of these comms were by field telegraph from army HQ at Fairfax to First Corps HQ at Guilford station. From there, Brown says (or at last implies) comms continued by flag through Leesburg and Sugar Loaf Mountain to Maryland Heights. (I suspect there may have been a link between Sugar Loaf and MH at Point of Rocks, but Brown does not mention that.) Also, by Leesburg, I wonder if Brown actually means Guilford station.
At any rate, I do not find Guilford station on any of the maps. My understanding is that it is located somewhere in the vicinity of Leesburg.
Two questions: Does anyone know where Guilford station is located, and is there a map available that shows it? Secondly, is there possibly a map available that shows this flag and wire comms route from Fairfax to Maryland Heights that I could copy and use in a PowerPoint presntation? If not, I can probably use an existing map, and draw in the comms route. Thanks, Tom
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword