Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 04/19/2010 22:34:10 EDT
Subject: RE: Breaking the SC code

Message Detail:
Tom, As an added thought, you'll have noticed on p. 512 Mr. Sears's note of the debt he owed to the late Ed Fishel. Sears hailed the appearance of Ed's "The Secret War for the Union," and fully grasped Ed's discovery of the Sharpe(BMI) records among the Hooker papers (as well as the Pinkerton reports among the McClellan papers). Given his WW II background, Ed fully grasped the implications of what he had found, and, as a craftsman and former journalist, was careful in his choice of words and precision of vocabulary. Back in the early '60s (19xx, that is), Ed and I had several discussions on these matters, but recognized the added complication of trying to understand what the people of the 1860s were saying -- what they understood and what they were conveying to others not as intimately acquainted with the technicalities involved (not unlike the problem that haunts us yet). Thanks to his findings, I have a probable "first edition" Alexander version of the Myer code-- perhaps the one he introduced at First Manassas -- certainly the one used on the Peninsula when Capt. Norris abandoned his fixed-pole signal system for the Alexander-Myer system. The info came from former Norris signalmen captured and then interrogated by Pinkerton.

I regret that Ed, Bill Tidwell, Paul Scheips and others didn't live into the Google era. Their imprints continue to be reflected here from time to time, and I often wonder if, somehow, they look in on the forum.

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword