Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Tom Ryan on: 04/19/2010 16:13:40 EDT
Subject: Breaking the SC code

Message Detail:
In Stephen Sears' "Chancellorsville," he states on page 102 that the Union army CSO was "in possesion of the full code of signals used by the enemy's Signal Corps." Sears goes on to say that the Union forces learned from a "caputured Confederate signal officer that Lee's signalmen had broken the Yankee's code and could read their flag messages."
Not sure exactly what is going on here. I generally understand that both sides used the same code originally developed by Myer. But why would both sides have to "break" the code of the other, since the code should have been the same? I assume the answer is that each side changed their code from time to time to keep the other side from reading their messages. Is that what actually took place?
Also, I believe that speaking about the message "code" is different than messages actually being sent in cipher to add another layer of security.
Can someone provide a clearer interpretation of what actually was taking place during these events at Chancellorsville. Thanks, Tom
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword