Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 01/21/2008 06:25:44 EDT
Subject: RE: Telescope, US Signal Service

Message Detail:
Melanie, it was useful to dig out -- and re-read -- my article on Lieut. Ireland's telescope in "Signal Cipher" for Nov 1999, for I find this interesting sentence:
" The 'sleeves' through which each tube passes into the next section have '81' scratched at the bottom, presumably accounting for assembly and confirming that all parts are original." (By "sleeve," I meant the part that holds in place the tube/draw/pipe.) This, I suggest, may relate to, and explain, your "72." You might want to check and see if it appears elsewhere, for, if my guess is correct, it would show that no parts had been replaced (consider the other 'scope we discussed recently).

Per my notes and photos, Lieut. Round's 'scope at the Manassas Museum is another sibling of yours and the one described in the article.

In the "Notes" I presented six years ago, I suggested that initial products ("U.S. Army/Signal Telescope" were imports from French maker, Bardou, under their name and logo, and imported by Queen, and superseded by those marked only by Queen ("U.S. Army [or "U.S.A."] Signal Telescope/Jas. W. Queen/Phila. [or "Philad.] Pa."). A similar 'scope marked Beckel Brothers was sold a few years ago, appearing also to be a "Bardou product."

Message Link:

Message has a link
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword