Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 01/05/2008 06:41:36 EDT
Subject: Telescope, US Signal Service

Message Detail:

Civil War militaria dealer Dave Taylor, in his New Year's 2008 on-line catalog (link below) offers a telescope inscribed with "U.S. Signal Service," a serial number "2," and the maker/supplier "Robert B. Tolles," a Boston maker better known for his microscopes. Price is $1,350.

Taylor notes that this is post-war (which I believe is correct), but offers it as representative of the 1860s era army signal corps 'scope. (Tolles moved from Conastota, NY, to Boston in 1867.) Use of the term, "Signal Service" suggests a later date to me -- 1870s or '80s. Either the number "2" is Tolles's own, or the war-time (1864-'65) serials had not been continued post-war. Taylor suggests a lot of six and perhaps has some contract information. (I'll ask.) The 'scope is similar to that of the Queen-Bardou type -- I'm not sure whether assembled by Tolles from imported parts (perhaps with his optics?) or a new manufacture by him. Tolles is not listed in the 1999 Bazelon & McGunn Directory of American Mil Goods DFealers & Makers.

Message Link:

Message has a link
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword