Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Tom Ryan on: 12/14/2007 11:23:59 EDT
Subject: Telegraph lines during CW

Message Detail:
While still in command of the Union army during the early part of the Gettysburg Campaign in June 1863, Army of the Potomac commander General Hooker requested General in Chief Halleck to assign signal officers to Crampton's Gap and Turner's Gap in South Mountain. The purpose was so they could "see the whole country north of the Potomac, and telegraph movements of any column."

As far as I know, at that time the telegraph lines did not go not go beyond Frederick to those two gaps in South Mountain. Therefore, I assume what Hooker meant when he said they should "telegraph movements" that the SC teams on South Mountain would either send messages by flag or courier to Frederick from where they would be relayed by telegraph to Hooker's HQ at Fairfax, VA.
Do you concur with this explanation, or is there another possibility that needs to be considered?
One other thought is that Hooker may have been using the term "telegraph" generically to mean to send messages by whatever means whether it be by signal flag or telegraph lines.
Thanks, Tom Ryan

Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword