Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 11/27/2007 08:36:59 EDT
Subject: RE: Telegraphically Speaking - Terms From 1858

Message Detail:
Pete, As Walt indicates, viewers come to this site with different interests. One of Walt's has been the pursuit (purfuit?) of "old English" spelling among(s)t Southerners of that era, and the elimination (insofar as possible) of anachronisms. (Just the other day I was reading an article about Colonial Williamsburg, and the "gig" received by a George Washington impersonator who -- asked a question he had previously addressed -- responded to that effect and ad libbed "Did you tune me out?" The usage expert pointed out that that term, "tune me out" would have been meaningless to people of the mid-late 18th/early 19thC -- before radio. A small point, but to a keen ear, a jarring interference in the experience of being transported back in time -- which had been the objective of the living history speaker.) In defence/defense (both spellings acceptable and clear in the 1860s) of Walt's point, it helps to be reminded, if fidelity to the past is your objective. If it ain't, "tune it out" and go on to the next post or "change the subject" to one of your preference and share the thought by posting it. (Again, to return to my own experience recently, you posted some while back the OR report of the 1864 interrogation of CS Sgt Dunning, evidently a deserter from Signal Knob on the Massanutton range. I stumbled upon it again, and became interested, learned that the name was incorrect in the OR[!], and determined his real name. Different strokes for different folks. And my thanks for posting something I had read numerous times before. I thought.)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword