Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 11/01/2007 22:16:40 EDT
Subject: RE: John Hunt Morgan's

Message Detail:
From my notes: B. 24 July 1843 in on the north side of East Lake, Prince Edward county, Canada. At age 11 [1854] taken by father to Whitby, Ontarion, cty, 30 mi. from Toronto. At 14 [1857] in Illinois as night tep op Peoria Junction (later Chenoa), Chicago, Alton, and St. Louis. St. Louis at 15-16, about two years; Galveston, TX at age 17, 9 Sep 1860. Houston, TX (at age 18?) enlists in "Bayou City Guards," which became Co. A, 5th Texas Infantry.

In the old "Signal Cipher," Vol. 6, No. 10, Oxt 1992, is a quote from "Civil War Times," XXII, No. 6. Oct 1983, pp. 22-27, which cites training at SFB Morse's tel school. (Did Morse also have a school in Chicago at the appropriate time?)

Impression I have is that he was a "knight of the road," an itinerant operator, and that the war years were a lark for him. (He was with the CS covert operators in Canada for a time.) Resumed his nomadic life after the war. In the 1880 US census, he was listed as a boarder and tel op, age 37, b. Canada, parents b. NY and Conn, living in Kirkwood, St. Louis, MO 15 June 1880. Attended Nashville Confed reunion 1897. Died "at his key" c1899 working as tel op for Western Union at Antonio, LA, West Baton Rouge Parish. Obit in Confed Vet.

Can't confirm the Morse School training. For a kid of 14, seems more likely he learned "side-saddle" with experienced op, but then... .

I've found no indication of marriage or family. Only picture I've seen is that terrible one in "Confed Vet," obviously late in life

You prob have, in our Archives, a copy of my article, "The Canadian Confederate Wire-Tapper," printed in "Colloquy", newsletter of the former Security Affairs Support Association, Vol. 8, No. 2, Mar 1988, pp. 6-7.

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword