Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Rich Dees on: 06/03/2003 11:40:42 EDT
Subject: Signal Torches

Message Detail:
I am embarking on a journey to build a set of signal torches. I think I have enough information to put together a reasonable set. I enlisted the help of the Signal Corps Museum at Ft Gordon, where they were kind enough to send me a set of pictures and complete dimensions of the torches they have. They appear to be reproductions, but together with the description and pictures that Dave Harbin has, a fairly clear picture of what to build emerges. Iíll be using the services of a friend of mine who is a machinist. The problem Iím having is the foot torch. Mounting on the ground may (or may not) use some sort of fixture. Some references Iíve read talk about a ground mount fixture. I thought it was a pair of stakes, but perhaps not. If anyone has a hint how the foot is mounted on the ground, Iíd appreciate hearing from them. Construction progress will be slow, but when I have a reasonable product, Iíll post a few pictures. When the final design is complete, Iíll also forward the dimensions of my torches on this forum to anyone who wants to build a set. Many thanks to Walt for some really helpful hints, especially regarding the filler ports. Cross your fingers Ömetal chips are about to fly!
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword