Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 05/29/2003 09:34:58 EDT
Subject: Signal Poles and Joints, A Reply Concern'g

Message Detail:
John,

We have a few threads related to poles and joints up on this forum. You might want to conduct a keyword search at the bottom of the page to find them (Tnx Clarence). Another word you may wish to insert in place of, or in addition to joint, is ferrule.

Ken Dombrowski had suggested a fellow in Baltimore who makes twelve foot ashen poles for another period group. I remember contacting this fellow some time ago and he said he'd be willing to give it a shot provided we supply the wood (if we wanted hickory) and that he would have to charge a couple of hundred for each set.

I have recently found a source for inch-and-a-quarter hickory dowel and will be having a local turner produce two sets of two-section poles (third and fourth joints of a regulation kit) for someone to use as part of a signal wall display over at the Pentagon.

For this project I intend to use Marine brass tubing of the appropriate size but I doubt if I'll go tho the trouble of sizing or clinching on a reinforcement ring at the top of the ferrule.

We have a number of folks at this forum wishing to have a set or two made for themselves or their detachments. After this Pentagon project is completed I should know better as to what a set will likely cost. Much may depend on how many orders we can place at one time to reduce any set-up costs.

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword