Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 05/19/2003 17:11:09 EDT
Subject: RE: Varied Signal Badges & Insignia

Message Detail:

Rgr that. A Carlisle photo of a young trooper, full length, seems to have him wearing a signal emblem on the left breast of his blouse. We're 'way behind the uniforms guys with our research, but I was just re-reading something Les Jensen wrote several years ago in part one of his classic article on CS jacket typology ("Mil Collector & Historian," Fall 1989): "The study of American military uniforms has been pursued with increasiung sophistication over the past forty-odd years, with the result that today we are light years ahead of our predecessors in nearly every period of our history." We're digging out info that the vets either "all knew" or didn't bother to ask about. Howie Madaus's pioneering work on CS flags showed how glib and superficial our "answers" were in the past. We probably know more today about CS battleflags than any one veteran of the war. As you say, that's what makes it exciting, and nailing down answers (even provisional or interim ones) is just one way in which we pay them tribute, by resurrecting the record.

PS: Les's article refs the widespread destruction of CS QM records. I noticed the other day in CS Army regs that "knapsacks, haversacks and canteens" had been assigned for the time being as responsibities to Ord, vice QM, so we may yet find CS sig-pertinent info in the Ord Dept corres, in Nat'l Archives.

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword