Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: Tue May 6 21:55:22 2003
Subject: RE: Who Wants Repro Flag Pole Joints?

Message Detail:
Good post, Walt--as was your related post on the forum of the Company of Military Historians, which could open up new avenues. My only thought at this point is to note that we now know the Winder Bldg photo was taken in April, 1865, at the end of the war. (In an enhanced, enlarged view, the signalman on the station appears to me to be holding an oversized pole--sectional, it's true, but over-large, perhaps to use with "six-foot" flag? There is a "ghost" of what--again to my eyes--appears to be a flag (rectangular?) waving out to the viewer's right, just a hint caught by the camera plate and cropped in other printings because it's too high above the figures of interest.) This may therefore be an exception to the general run of field kit.
It would seem that the friction-fit brass connector would be appropriate for the bulk(?) of the war, for we have seen the refs to using slips of paper, etc., to tighten the fit.
By the way, in the turn of the century-to-WW II 2x2 kits, I can trace from friction fit to screw about 19-teens, with wooden pole replaced by rolled brass/blacked metal c1918, which makes me think friction-fit continued in use throughout the 1800s.
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword