Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 04/25/2003 23:00:12 EDT
Subject: On the Proper Placement of US Signal Insignia

Message Detail:

Here's and interesting group of signal staff posing upon the front steps of Corps Head-Quarters, 1816 F Street, NW, Washington DC. It is reported to have been taken sometime during April of 1865. Using Brown's book as an aid, can you identify any of those pictured?

Notice the double flag insignia on the sack coated sleeves of the two private soldiers. Might these two gentlemen be 'out of uniform' as prescribed in the August, 1864 directive of enlisted men being instructed to wear the crossed signal flag patch on their left sleeves only?

Notice that, unlike modern signal insignia which have matching white flags to the front, there seem to have been no such requirements during the Civil War. Now I ask you...are the flag staffs on these examples of insignia exactly three inches in length? Maybe, maybe not. Have you found insignia with differing proportions in other images?

I should wish to ask our re-enactors' divisioneers to use this offical head-quarters pose as an 'official' example when establishing and/or enforcing their unit's uniform quidelines. Look at the images.

My suggestion would be to allow your unit associates as much latitude for whatever can be photographically documented and make every effort to keep from establishing uniformity in clothing in an organization that was anything but uniform.

Rev. 11.11.11.:3.3.3.
Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword