Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 01/05/2003 08:42:20 CST
Subject: Ebay Sig Pistol Indeed Has Vanish'd!

Message Detail:
Dave,

Didn't know the requiements of E-bay postings as it relates to firearms. Perhaps E-bay views signal pistols as marine safety equipment and not fire arms.

The above not withstanding, this might be the time to ask if any of our forum associates, who's interest in early visual signal communication extends beyond the 1865 era, if they had decided to 'capture' the pistol image for their own research efforts. If so, they might want to E-wire it to you as an attachment off-line. Who knows.... Maybe Eric bought it! ;)

The image, as I recall, was a bit fuzzy to begin with, but that wouldn't stump an expert. In fact, I'm quite confident that someone who knows these appliances would be able to identify it straight away. I can say that the barrel was somewhat longer than the earlier pistols so it was at least up in the Lieut. Very period.

Come to think of it, there might be a representation of the pistol in the 1877 manual of Myer or later. While the later areas of study are beyond and out of my league I'm glad we have general signal history folks out there to explain items such as the E-bay signal pistol and Max' torch variants.

This is off the top of my head but wasn't Lieut. Very's out-of-the-barrel pistol design in production by the mid to late 1870's?

Walt
5-5-5
PS Be gentle...I can only take in so much new information in a day ;)

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword