Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Ken Dombroski on: 01/04/2003 14:22:41 CST
Subject: RE: Signal Haversack, Leather, With Carry-Sling, Attach'd, One Each

Message Detail:
Walt,

The leather haversack I referred to can be seen on the OVCWA signal site. It looks almost identical to the artillery gunner's haversack, and my guess is that is exactly what it is. We know that the Army had a hell of a lot of excess equipment after the war and continued to issue it until stocks ran out rather than buy new, more modern gear. It makes sense that the Signal Corps would have picked up some of the leather gunner's haversacks to replace the less than satisfactory black canvas ones.

The strap closure shown in Brown and in Myer's manual is similar to one I have on a leather holster copied from an original. For the haversack, a buckle would be much more useful, and I suspect the drawing is not representative of what was really issued. Even the early white canvas haversacks had buckle closures.

From what little I've seen in the documents I've come across, it seems that much of the signal equipment was procured outside of QM channels, although I would suspect that the haversacks, as well as other common issue items, were obtained from existing QM stocks.

Regards,

Ken

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword