Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 02/28/2016 09:52:16 EDT
Subject: Line-of-Sight at Nearby Signal Sta Sites

Message Detail:
Jarad,

One of the challenges over these many years for those holding stewardship over historic sites has been whether or not to maintain, or, as in some neglected cases, cause retrogression of the landscape, as has been performed at the signal station site at Little Round Top south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

I am hoping to know that the Feds (the NPS forestry folks) have been incouraged by their history interpretive folks to have gone out of their way with preserving the line-of-site in both directions as it relates to the signal station near the Six-Gun Battery atop Maryland Heights.

The above has not been the case with the Maryland State Park Service signal station sites further north on South Mountain (MD Hgts is the southern most tip of S. Mtn) as seen from the Washington Monument signal station. The trees have grown taller, due to lack of physical resources to maintain their line-of-sight or intended oversight.

This tree growth has caused, even during the Winter months, the former stations at Elk Mountain station (actually mislabeled all these years, the true name I believe being Short Hill) and the one at Middletown to become obscure from the Mountain station (Washington Monument)

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword