Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 04/05/2012 08:49:03 EDT
Subject: RE: Aerial Telegraphy or Flag Signal'g vs. Wig-Wag

Message Detail:
Walt, I have a recollection that you had found one (1) single contemporary ref in which a Union officer referred to signaling as just "so much wig-waging," or words to that effect. One person, one incident. (That keeps me from a blanket statement that it wasn't used during the war.) Do you recall that or still have the citation?

But the point I was trying to make, and on which I believe we agree, is that we are unaware of the term being in general use, within or outside the signal corps on either side -- that it would have been considered demeaning by the first generation, that it came into more general use after the war, as the prideful first generation was disappearing from the stage. By the 20th Century, when it had become an optional way to transmit International Morse Code in the peacetime Boy Scouts, the term had lost any sensitivity among the practioners. I try to avoid using it at all, except to clarify or "translate" for those who use or recognize it, and otherwise refer to the Myer system or the Myer-Alexander system (which is my way of respecting Myer while recognizing Alexander's "modified" version, introduced in the Confederacy). In similar fashion, I try to avoid referring to the system as "semaphore" (reserving that for the modern two-flag manual system) or "[visual] telegraphy" (because of confusion with electro-magnetic wire telegraphy).

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword