Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Clarence on: 10/09/2009 13:52:02 EDT
Subject: RE: SCARD Database

Message Detail:
The server is not the problem. All of my sites are hosted at Fluidhosting.com, one of the premier web hosts around. The quality, and speed are apparent on all of the sites.

The problem lies in the software and the database type. These forums were originally created back in 2000 with software available at that time. The programs utilize a 'flat-file' database rather that the more current use of SQL type databases that would have unlimited posting capabilities. As it is, the current software, written in Perl, is failing on some array limits.

There are several alternatives.

1) I am looking at the current program to see if there is a work around for the failure. Unsure of time or success.

2) I can create a second forum for the archived data. Creation is simple, cleanup may take a bit of time.

3) The entire data set can be moved to more current forum programing (ie PHPbb, etc.) While this solution may prove to be the best in the long term for SCARD, there are many details that are a headache. All users will be required register - increasing admin requirements. The data would have to be reformatted and loaded to the SQL database. Spam posting controls would have to be rewritten. Etc., etc......

The quick fix? Keep the data from 2006 to current in the 'active' database and create a SCARD-Archive forum for the earlier data.

If I find a way to merge it all back together I will let you know.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it answered some questions.

Clarence

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword