Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 10/10/2002 18:00:37 CDT
Subject: Signal Images Re-Discover'd

Message Detail:
I was browsing a book store the other day and came upon two drawings of signal stations I had never seen before.

One of the images was a pencil sketch of Sherman on Kenisaw [sic] Mtn. with the signal officer training his glass on Alatoona Pass from within an earthen gun port while the flagman surmounted the parapet at the Kenesaw station.

The second illustration showed mounted messengers impatiently waiting to scurry away with the import of whatever intelligence the man at the glass was presently gleaning. This work was rendered in pen & ink and sort of reminded me of the USMT operator who was drawn with the pocket instrument up to his ear, line running to a bayonet in a pool of water and the mounted despatch riders peering about as if certain capture may be near. Wasn't that telegraper a cut from a Century Magazine illustration?

Owing to other business, I had to leave out of the shop in quick order so I couldn't get the image sources. I'll make my rounds once more and take a more careful gander of the endnote details.

You know this is really great! I've studied 1860's field communications for over twenty years and can tell you that I can never seem to get my fill of it.

Walt Mathers

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword