Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 09/11/2009 07:34:29 EDT
Subject: RE: Portable Tower Design

Message Detail:
Walt, this is one of my favorite images (so I cringe and try to write faster every time I see it "advertised"!). It is said to have been sketched while the artist was observing through a [signal corps?] telescope, thus it is the only image I know of depicting a CS field sta in operation. It really lends itself to enlargement and study. (You'll even be able to make out the off-duty fellow grabbing a few z's under the shebang at right, sheltered by fence rails.) I believe that this is an ANV cavalry sta, coming under the command of Capt. Frayser, Stuart's CSO. Of the flags, one may mark the location of the sta [thus marking it as a comms site], and the other be in a "ready" position to be quickly taken up. From the kepi, I presume that's the OIC looking down at the 'scope ("Can you see what I mean -- over to the right?"), altho the roles may be reversed. Riders and saddled horses are standing by to deliver "incomings" or the fruits of the observations of the enemy, while others are being rested.
Perhaps the sta of Charles E. Taylor's buddy, SigSgt W.T. Chandler? And a mirror image of the enemy sta, better fed and equipped, watching from across the river?

PS - I also use this to rebut the notion that sig sta meant "tower."

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword