Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Ray Wemple on: 06/26/2009 14:42:51 EDT
Subject: RE: Signal Corps talk

Message Detail:
Tom,
If you are going to talk about the CSA SC as well, I strongly suggest that you read a book entitled" Come Retribution" co-authored by our own Dave Gaddy. It has much detail about CSA SC and Secret Service to include the Vigenere or just plain "Code" and how their "Secret Line" worked, etc. Talks about their leader Capt.(Major-Col) William Norris and also the "Independent Signal Corps" along the James River and its leader, James F. Milligan.
If I were doing such a presentation, I would emphasize the importance of the SC (CSA) at 1st Manassas/Bull Run and how E.P. Alexander's signal and established field signal stations won the day for the Confederacy and sent the Union Army back to DC in dissarray. Also, emphasize the uniqueness of A.J. Myer's Flag Telegraphy system for the time and how messages could be rapidly relayed in the field using very simple and mobile devices easily carried and used. (except when being shot at, ofcourse).
Our own John Schulz is a reenactor of much experience and also manufactures and sells replica signal flags, torches, poles, cipher disks used by both CSA and Union SC and he is an excellent source in my opinion for those things. Just my thoughts on the matter. Also, Walt Mather our A&IO is a good source for advice on such matters. GOOD LUCK!!
73 de Ray
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword