Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Joe Martin on: 06/06/2009 19:12:10 EDT
Subject: RE: Making Sense of Re-created Events With Compasses

Message Detail:
Well, Dave, I’m gonna have to look at this whole surveyor’s compass business through the bottom of a beer mug and see if it makes any better sense! Meanwhile, I laid the ol’ protractor on OR Atlas plate XIX, map 2, and sure enough, Gloucester Point is right on “28 degrees W of N”—or the 332 radial in today’s terms—off the marked location of Battery 4. The Yorktown wharf not marked as such, but 43 W of N / 317 degrees looks reasonable enough—a tribute to the map makers, among other things.

Harking back to Walt’s original posting, the compass/map part of things looks to me like some additional Signal Corps fun as well as a real opportunity in the “educating the public” arena of CW battle reenactment.

(Other tangents: “Katum” is no doubt a corruption, but that was the accepted spelling in the day for the one-time SF camp, off-and-on fire base, N of Saigon, right on the Cambodian border. My own experience with it chiefly concerned avoidance of outgoing projectiles during the “incursion” of May-June 1970 and for some time thereafter.)

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword