Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Joe Martin on: 06/05/2009 01:27:17 EDT
Subject: RE: Making Sense of Re-created Events With Compasses

Message Detail:
Much obliged, Dave. I missed that one in the OR completely.

Exactly when the use of "compass rose" type references ceased in favor of just a single azimuth, I have no clue. However, a couple of artillery-related examples from the OR (siege of Yorktown) may help explain CW-era usage. From Battery No. 4 to Gloucester Point was given as N. 28 degrees W., 4,100 yards; to Yorktown wharf, N. 43 degrees W., 3,500 yards, etc.

Considering that something over a century elapsed between this entry and my dealings with “arty” nets during my sojourn in Southeast Asia, the methodology remained remarkably similar. (“Ah, roger, this is Tay Ninh. I have Katum firing to the north on a heading of three-five-five tango oscar three-six-zero, with a max ord of one-one thousand, impacting x-ray tango blah, blah, blah.”) Also, I haven’t looked at a surveyor’s written description in many a year, but I seem to recall those documents using phraseology much like that of the CW artillerist.

As for our man in particular, I can only presume he simply left out the “north”, just as you indicate. However, my calculus would make that 340 degrees—or were you just giving an example?

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword