Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 07/10/2002 08:46:30 CDT
Subject: RE: Two Waves of the Star'd 'Battle-Flag'

Message Detail:
I think that, thru the discussions on this forum we're moving toward commonality of thinking, developing doctrine "on the run," that might one day be set down on paper. You'll recall, back during that period you mention, we had to produce evidence to the reenactment honchos that there was such a thing as the sig corps, that it was present at the event depicted, and that it was worth their while (as well as historical accuracy) to permit its presence. Because of the labor of learning names, etc. of CS sig officers, I was reluctant to share them with people who put "mustaches" on their insignia. As I've seen filming of events (e.g., G'bg) showing signalists, I've become more concerned that accuracy prevail, as best it can.
As to the flags, I'm thinking more of star flags w/o inscriptions, per the follow-up order that made "name" flags in the field something that should have been seen only for a very few months, after which the flags became generic (and prob cotton/linen vice silk). See "insignia" at end of Brown, and the way we sometimes see SigC insig of the war depicted. I can imagine reenactment "unit property" coming to include Coston "pistols," fuel canteens, and other rarer (=costly) items, even in repro. And such units may one day acquire that "elite" status I've mentioned, real hard core.
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword