Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 08/20/2006 00:16:51 EDT
Subject: Wire Messages Well Beyond Kennesaw Mtn.

Message Detail:
Hi Chip,

This shocking despatch is being provided by an associate at another forum which he obtained from the OR's, and which he also found amazingly asinine. He says:

"Halleck riding Rosecrans about what would seem to be small matters. The guy who is running an army, no less, is called to task for spending money on telegrams. Is there any possibility it was actually extravagant in those days? My emphasis below."

From OR Series 1 - Volume 23, Part II, Page 256
[...]
GENERAL: My attention has frequently been called to the ENORMOUS EXPENSE TO THE GOVERNMENT of your telegrams, as much or perhaps than any other generals in the field. I have avoided writing to you on the subject, lest you might misconceive my motives, but as the habit with you seems to be increasing, and it is really injuring you in the estimation of the Government, I feel it my duty as a personal friend to call your attention to the matter. The truth is, you repeat again and again the same thing by telegraph., AT A VERY GREAT EXPENSE TO THE GOVERNMENT, without the slightest necessity. [...]

Again, you telegraph continually about matters that require no immediate action or reply, and which might be communicated through the mails without any delay or injury to the public service and WITH GREAT SAVING TO THE PUBLIC TREASURY.

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword