Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 11/29/2005 08:13:19 EDT
Subject: US Army Signal Sergeant's Insignia, Placement, Particulars Relating to

Message Detail:
Dave,

I think you are right about the Signal Corps Privates of the First Class evolving into to-day's PFC abreviation.

As to the US Signal Corps having an issuance of separate badges with cross'd flags already sewn onto a signal sergeant's chevrons from the embroidery factory, I'd have to take exception on that account. William Nicodemus ordered both cap and sleeve devices and was very precise at what he had done but made a distinction that "sergeants will wear the designation of the corps placed in the angle of the chevrons..." didn't he?

I think the two action words are 'wear' and 'placed'. As we know of signal privates spending as much as a month's pay on a new uniform it is not out of the question to consider that along with that tailor-made roundabout full of general staff buttons a signal sergeant, so disposed, couldn't have gotten a seamstress or tailor to embroider the corps emblem directly onto a three-striped patch. Are we speaking of yellow stripes too or could a few blue and red hang-overs from the pre-1863 org days have still have been seen about camp and up the tower?

Do you know if signal sergeant chevron patches came cut straight across from the top tip of one chevron to the one across from it? Would the quartermaster general have frowned on such a waste of material if the stripes were of army issue?

Just a few thoughts.....

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword