Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Ted Wagner on: 06/19/2002 11:18:07 CDT
Subject: USMT Documents

Message Detail:
Friends, I wanted to inform you of several documents I have online over at http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org

I know, long name, but usmt.org was already taken. ;-)

We have for your viewing pleasure copies of:
Telegraph Blanks
Signal Forms
Frank Pope's Telegraph Book
The Telegraph Manual by Taliaferro P. Shaffner (1859)
1866 Western Union Company rules
Historical Sketch of the Electric Telegraph (1852)
The Before Threads reference book, which is out of print and copyright, by the Dellings.

We have these as well as many other goodies for your education. Also online is a new DOT Code education website which will tutor you, using tones, in DOT code. Some day, we'll figure out how to change the tone to an actual sounder click so it's more realistic.

Currently, I'm trying to hammer out better working procedures for operation (ever so slowly, my day job has been a burden on much improvement in this area).

Walt, thinking of this...and your recent explanation of stutter codes, has there been anything formal done about the standard operation procedures for working DOT?

My thoughts are on this. I'd like to see exposure here and allow signal folks to operate the telegraph. If we not only keep with the code using dot code, why not signal operating procedures too? (modified as necessary for electrical transmission of course)

I will soon link to the Morse Telegraph club where they have a document explaning the actual procedures used on telegraph lines.

Ted

Message Link:

Message has a link
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword