Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 11/22/2005 18:03:01 EDT
Subject: Chris Anders & Functional Period Communications at Re-created Events

Message Detail:
Hi Chris,

I just found the following old posting during a search of the web and thought I'd offer the remarks of an event organizer of your acquaintance.... Let me know what Private Snuffy thinks?

"My view was from the Confederate side at the [Recon III] event. Many impressions of our community here in the East, that has been window dressing in the past, became a necessary, functional part, including signals, and telegraph (over 1 1/2 miles of wire run) letting us know every Federal movement that was in the open. The effective use of pioneers cutting and marking trails for couriers, and to water sources, meant that we could and did establish an effective base of operations anywhere we chose in the Wilderness."

[Dave Pridgeon]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the re-enacting community doesn't develop a position for functional signal and telegraphic communication then we stand a chance to lose what interest they currently hold for providing service to that community. You might want to see ANV Charles Clark's remarks here on this forum. Since reading Pridgeon's above and Clarks eslwhere on this site we hope you can see the need for employing period communication at future events.

Regards,
Walt Mathers

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword