Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Ray Wemple on: 10/14/2005 18:07:52 EDT
Subject: RE: Post-Civil War Heliograph

Message Detail:
DAVE,
I WOULD AGREE WITH THAT. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THAT HE PASSED AWAY IN AUGUST OF 1931. WHEN I STARTED RESEARCHING MYER I OBTAINED MICROFICHE THAT WAS SENT TO THE PUBLIC LIBRARY HERE WHICH COULD NOT BE REMOVED. ON THE FICHE WAS HIS "HISTORICAL REVIEW" (1896) AND THAT WAS MY INTRO TO HIM. THE FACT THAT THEY SIGNALING ABOUT 800 MILES RT WITH RELAY IN ABOUT FOUR HRS AT THE TIME WITH THE HELIOGRAPH AND DOING ABOUT 10 WPM WAS ALSO FASCINATING TO ME. I CAN REMEMBER IN MY NOVICE DAYS STRUGGLING WITH 5 WPM ON CW (CURSED WAVE, HI,HI) AND WONDERING IF MY SKILLS WOULD IMPROVE. THEY DID, BUT NOT MUCH (HI,HI). IT ALSO REMINDED ME OF AN ARTICLE ( REALLY CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I READ IT) ABOUT UNION SIG C XMITING A MEDIUM SIZE MSG FROM HARPERS FERRY TO FT. WASHINGTON IN ABOUT ONE HOUR (THINK THAT WAS SEVENTY MILES) BY FLAG TELEGRAPHY. PRETTY SLICK I'D SAY. RE: PROGRESSION TO NEWER METHODOLOGY, I WAS SURPRISED TO LEARN THAT MYER'S FLAG TELEGRAPHY WAS STILL BEING USED UP TO WWI FOR SHORT UNIT TO UNIT SIGS. AS YOU KNOW, I HAVE A SET OF THOSE TATTERED FLAGS WHICH ARE ON DISPLAY AT A LOCAL LIBRARY FOR A WWI THEME. THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A REAL WWI AMBULANCE THAT RUNS IN THE LIBRARY ON DISPLAY. WE HAVE A ROUND TABLE MTG THIS EVENING SO WILL END HERE AND SAY 73,
RAY
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword