Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 09/24/2005 10:33:51 EDT
Subject: Uniform Guidelines - Are We Still Seeing Red?

Message Detail:

Hi Ted,

I'm not sure about the various artillery units Ken Dombrowski mentions in his reply to your inquiry about the use of red flannel fireman bib-front shield shirts but I am aware that a few of the fire bragades of the early war years (perhaps like Baxter's) may well have worn them.

MOST signallists should know that bright colors draw fire (even at re-enactments without the whizzing leaden balls flying hither and yond. That would probably change the mindset of most participants and forever change their somewhat gentle understanding of the word FUN when using it in the same sentence with re-enacting.

We have one instance of an officer instructing his men to remove their sleeve insignia on account of being detected as signal corpsmen. So we know they wore such into the field. This had to be the Federal Army signal service as the 1860's Confederate signallists wouldn't have had such a flashy set of advertisements to aim at(until they picked up a flag and started to wave that is). One might ask why the Berdan's sharpshooters adopted black rubber buttons for their tree-like green uniforms.

Good post Ted.

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword