Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 09/24/2005 00:15:27 EDT
Subject: Prelude to 2005 Cedar Creek Event

Message Detail:
On the heals of the extended thread "If You Have Soft Skin - Disregard This Post" that I offered on 09/12/2005 I have another I'm hoping you'll give some thought to as the time for it to occur is drawing nigh.

From one of the Oct 19th 2004 SCARD Forum Messages:

"... After Action report of Cedar Creek October 16-17
... Captain Palermo's group didn't get used at all.... Pvt D. Garrett [York Signal Detachment Perhap?] went with Maj Reader with one of the commanders on horse back, they were following him all over the field.... From the sounds of it neither [the] Union or Confederate signals groups were used to either side's advantage. It was a shame... I think signal units need to help make commanders understand what we can offer them on the field, most don't understand the signal unit."

I think that the wording in the 2004 Cedar Creek report by the York Signal Detachment says a lot about our COLLECTIVE past proficiency in SOME AREAS of the field and how the COLLECTIVE thought of over-all commanders play out. The York Detachment's 2004 Cedar Creek report needs to be re-stated over-and-over again and we MUST ask ourselves if any corrective messures have been put in place since their report was made to this board:

"From the sounds of it neither Union or Confederate signals groups were used to either side's advantage. It was a shame... I think signal units need to help make commanders understand what we can offer them on the field, most don't understand the signal unit."

What have we COLLECTIVELY to look forward to at this years’ 2005 Cedar Creek event? What lessons have we learned from the past? What provisions HAVE WE created to insure our involvement in the future? What are you willing to share with your fellow forum readers? Perhaps your postings (or lack thereof) will give some sort of glimmering hint to our immediate future. Will anyone give an after-action-report this go-round? There surely hasn't been a stampede of posters setting even lantern-lit preparatory guidelines to follow on the way to Middletown, Viginia. (... are you sure there isn't another cyber-forum where this info is secretly being rationed out?)

“We provide service to those who serve the Re-enacting Community” Nice quote I'd say but is it a true statement that fits into the reality of to-day’s re-enacting community or are we continuing to pull the wool way down... over our own eyes? Is self-professed c/h/p Chris Anders merely following suite with the Mainstreamer over-all field commanders?

Got ma ears on Good Buddies ... 10-4?
Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword