Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: S. Chris Anders on: 09/22/2005 15:31:23 EDT
Subject: RE: Welcome Chris Anders

Message Detail:
Ok,

Now you are taking it way out of context. There is a place for period signals at event, and especially at linear events. I was speaking of controlling the scenario.

I have been at the command level for years and years. At every event imaginable from Mega turbo fests with horms to hardcore 20 man picket posts...

To manage the play, as a scripted scenario must be treated as, you need radios. Perhaps not as much as we have used them in the past, but I ahve seen every other imaginable type of communication fail. Radios havent.

Now for general communication between fixed points, telegraph is fine, so are signal flags...but for communication that is stage handling on the urn, portable radios excel.

I doubt anyone on this string has ever actually written, commanded or organized a scenario to be able to comment on this. Theory is one thing, reality is another.

At McD in 2003 they tried to use signals for the scripted battle, that fell to crap within a few seconds.

Andthat has been my experience for 19 years. I appreciate the skills of period communication and for tacticals and such it is the only way to go.

Scripted specific scenarios will not work with just period tools.

Pards,

S.C Anders

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword