Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 09/05/2005 10:49:05 EDT
Subject: Thrusting Rockets & Living Historians

Message Detail:

I had occasion yesterday evening to hear SCA/SCARD Webmaster Mark Hageman relate a recent account of night signalling demonstrations conducted at a public torch-light tour and it got me to thinking about pyrotechnics again.

Throwing up signal rockets has been touched on at this forum with somewhat heated tones from time-to-time.

Unless you have ideal conditions such as the wind blowing out over the water and you are doing a coastal fortification encampment (and you keep a sharpe eye on the wind) rockets and roman candles can be a HUGE liability factor.

I do wish you to look at the excellent page Mark has put to-gether on composition fires at:

http://scard.buffnet.net/pages/signal/signalpages/flare/coston.html

Let's see if we might want to invite a few pyrotechnicans to our forum discussions to mull over the in's and out's of reconsidering whether Coston Telegraphic Night Signals might work at future living history events in conjunction with signal torch operations.

As with any open flame endeavours (such as the hundreds of camp fires experienced at most major re-enactments) torch and compostion fires should not be undertaken except where conditions are favourable and a water or sand bucketed fire watch is set.

Perhaps our Drummond discussions of a few weeks ago might shed additional light on our possible safe use of period correct pyrotechnics and might even lead to the development of standards or guidelines pertaining to the use thereof.

Enjoy Mark's fussee page above.

Walt
Red-White-Red

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword