Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walter F. Mathers on: 06/16/2002 23:16:09 CDT
Subject: RE: Loose or Sloppy Joint Ferules

Message Detail:
Ken,

I wish someone with documentable four foot jointed signal flag poles would post them too. I can't help but believe that there are still surplus sets of these jointed poles out there (or up there) in someone's attic.

Surplus Beardslee machines turn up every now and then but period flag poles and especially non-modified torches never have. I'm sure that these two items were well used by signalmen in the post-war signal corps. Veteran Signal Corps Association organizer George Carr Round was looking high and low tying to find torches from 'his' period for an early twentieth century GAR Re-union in Washington, DC. I believe he said that two sets had finally been located after not too little effort on Round's part. After the conclusion of this particular re-union, these torches were earmark'd to be turned over to the National Museum (Smithsonian) but we've never been able to document that this ever offically occur'd.

As your last message post stating, "After light sanding to get the male end to fit snug into the brass connection, over a relatively short time the connection becomes loose. Is there a practical solution?" The answer is thin wooden wedge strips. You might even try wrapping an angled slip of paper around the sanded portion of the male end then fitting it down into the brass ferule to see if it gives a tighter fit.

Hope this helps,

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword