Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Ken on: 06/16/2002 16:32:31 CDT
Subject: RE: Loose or Sloppy Joint Ferules

Message Detail:
Walt,

Interesting; I have a pair of contemporary flag poles (two 4 ft. sections with screw type brass connections) which I thought were farby, but your observations that screw type connections existed means I can keep them around.

Regarding the brass cap at the base of the pole in the Central Station photo, I belive that is simply the connection for the base pole section. Similar view of brass connection can be seen in the photos of the Elk Mountain Station.

The remnats of my original poles (date unknown) show crimping as a means of attaching them to the wood on the female end. However, my problem is with the wooden male end. After light sanding to get the male end to fit snug into the brass connection, over a relatively short time the connection becomes loose. Is there a practical solution?

I've never been quite clear on the male connection - is it supposed to be capped with brass, or is it simply the wood end fitted into the female brass tube?

I wish someone whould post some close-up photos of what these poles and the connections look like on the net.

Regards,

Ken

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword