Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: RAY WEMPLE on: 06/07/2002 08:56:04 CDT
Subject: RE: Pole Talk

Message Detail:
HI CHUCK,
LET ME BEGIN BY SAYING I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT ALL OF THIS. I AM, HOWEVER, AN INTERESTED RESEARCHER AND OLDER FELLOW AT THAT. I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION BY QUOTING FROM BROWN'S "THE SIGNAL CORPS, USA, IN THE WAR OF THE REBELLION", PAGE 116. "THE KIT CASE CONTAINED--1ST. THE SIGNAL STAFF(FIG. 2), A STAFF OF HICKORY, MADE IN FOUR JOINTS OR PIECES, EACH FOUR FEET LONG, AND TAPERING AS A WHOLE FROM ONE AND ONE FOURTH INCH AT THE BUTT TO ONE-HALF INCH AT THE TIP. THE JOINTS WERE FERRULED AT THE ENDS WITH BRASS, AND FITTED TO BE JOINTED TOGETHER AS FISHING RODS SOMETIMES ARE. THE THIRD JOINT WAS GUARDED WITH BRASS FOR SIX INCHES AT ITS UPPER END, TO PROTECT IT FROM THE FLAMES OF THE TORCH, WHICH WAS ATTACHED, WHEN IN USE, TO THIS JOINT. THE TIP OF THE FOURTH JOINT WAS THAT TO WHICH THE FLAG WAS ATTACHED FOR DAY SIGNALS. WHEN IN USE, TWO OR MORE JOINTS OF THE STAFF WERE FITTED TOGETHER."

IT GOES ON TO DESCRIBE THE FLAG SIZES AND COLORS AND STATES THAT ALL FLAGS WERE FITTED WITH TAPES OR TIES, "BY WHICH TO TIE THEM TO THE STAFF". "THIS WAS FOUND THE MOST SIMPLE AND THE BEST MODE OF ATTACHING. THE TIES WERE ONE FOOT APART."

YOU MAY WISH TO CONTACT WALT MATHERS OF SCARD AND INQUIRE ABOUT BROWN'S BOOK. IT CONTAINS A WEALTH OF INFORMATION AND IS WORTH THE PURCHASE IN MY OPINION. BROWN DID ONE HELL OF A JOB PUTTING ALL OF THIS INFORMATION TOGETHER. IT'S THE NEXT BEST THING TO BEING THERE, AGAIN, MY OPINION.

AGAIN, I AM AN OLD GUY JUST STARTING IN ALL OF THIS AND TOO OLD TO BE A REENACTOR, BUT I AM STILL AN ACTIVE RESEARCHER AND INTERESTED IN A.J. MYER, ET AL. GOOD LUCK CHUCK.
RAY WEMPLE

View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword