Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 02/13/2005 23:08:54 EDT
Subject: RE: Flags

Message Detail:
Mark, the wartime photo of the Winder bldg signalman is usually printed with the top cropped, but on the full view there appears to be the sketchy outline of a large flag on his staff. I've suspected that he is holding a six-footer and that the staff is oversize, or a special one for the six footer as used at the Central Station in D.C.. With some basis for comparison in the photo, can we estimate the diameter of the staff? Then, I wonder if a comparable enlargement and estimate can be made of the signalman's staff in one of the several "O'Sullivan/Gardner" photos of the log structure signal station overlooking Sharpsburg--the "Elk Mountain" signal station? (It appears to me to be a four-foot standard.) This can certainly wait until you're back, unless someone else wants to pick up on it.
John may have stumbled on something Brown doesn't mention--that the six foot flag was not intended for routine field ops use, but reserved for fixed installations...and demanded a "thicker," longer staff than the four (and two) footers. (In which case we could hail John for his foresight!)
View Parent Message
Follow ups:
  • RE: Flags - John Schultz 02/14/2005 10:16:36 EDT (1)

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword