Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 02/08/2005 19:24:23 EDT
Subject: Where's Sergeant Dick Nicholls?

Message Detail:
Where is Richard S NICHOLLS?

Richard S. Nicholls was enlisted as a Private August 22, 1862, and served with Company D, of the 149th Penna. Volunteer Infantry until November, 1863, when he was transferred to the US Army Signal Corps.

Richard was promoted to Sergeant and served with the Signal Corps until the close of the war. It is claimed that Sergt. Nicholls was an excellent soldier, enthusiastic and intelligent (did I tell you he was with the Signal Corps?), and served at the front continuously, being under fire in every battle in which the Army of the Potomac was engaged
during his term of service.

R.S. Nicholls was one of the few members of Company D, 149th Penna., who managed to serve from start to finish without wounds or sickness. He was popular in the Company and also with the Signal Corps; was discharged at Washington, D.C., on June 24, 1865, and returned to his home (Butler, PA?).

After his arriving home Veteran Nicholls entered the railroad service and remained there until a few years since, when he removed to the West and located at Seattle, Washington State where he engaged in mining, being connected with the Warrior General Mining Company as Vice President. With his wife, he resided at Seattle, and became an active citizens of that lively Western city. That is where the story sort of fades out.

Page 841 in J. Willard Brown's USA signal corps roster has Richard living in Butler, PA in 1896. Did he move back from Seattle by 1896? There's a rather wide-eyed image of Richard opposite page 352 (first shot on the third row down), but I haven't had an age progression performed like the crime labs do. (Just wanted to see if you were still reading...)

Does anyone have any idea where and when Richard died and where he might be buried to-day? This one has me stumped.

Tnx
Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword