[ Back to the listing ]
[ Post Reply ]
[ Help ]
[ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]
Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 12/06/2004 01:12:13 EDT|
Subject: Kennesaw Mtn. Signal Station Being Saved
Saving 1864 Kennesaw|
A project currently in the works, but, as of December 2004 is not yet completed, will be the acquisition and preservation of the Wallis House, a period farmhouse that has remained in the Wallis family from the time of its construction in the late 1850s to the present. The house was used by Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, IV Corps commander, as his headquarters for a short time in mid-June 1864.
Funding for this effort came from a Georgia Civil War Commission grant of $125,000, coupled with $75,000 from Cobb County’s share of the governor’s Green Space Program Fund. The plan is to turn the 1-1/3-acre site over to the National Park Service to be administered by Kennesaw Mountain NBP as an out parcel which will, in the future, be developed as a new tour stop.
Cobb County is also preserving, as a passive green space park, the top of an adjacent hill, which served as Howard’s signal position.
Do any of our associates have any idea of what might be done to have a bronze tablet placed upon the passive green space that was anything but passive during the engaement of Kennesaw Mountain?
Inquiring flag floppers wanna know.
Signal Corps Association (1860-1865)