Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: John Schultz on: 12/03/2004 10:11:12 EDT
Subject: RE: What Is Scard REALLY Worth To You?

Message Detail:
What's SCARD WORTH?

SCARD is an EXCELLENT resource for ALL Signal Corps Reenactors and those that want to know about Signal Corps in the war between the states.

Personally, it is a place where I've received a WEALTH of information and have been made to understand how things worked - as opposed to how I think they should have worked.

Next weekend is our season closing event at Endview in Newport News, Va. We'll string up about 3/4 mile of wire between camps and run telegraph.

The previous time I've tried wire at this event site it didn't work becuase the 'ground' wasn't good enough. This time I've been armed with new ideas from this board such as the use of RELAYS (Thanks Walt) as well as new wiring concepts based in HISTORY (Thanks Mark).

With those improvements I am SURE that telegraph will work and I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to the weekend we call "CHRISTMAS IN THE FIELD".

So - THANKS TO ALL SCARD PEOPLE for helping me out - for providing suggestions and for being patient with the hard headed person that I am at times.

THANKS!

John E. Schultz

p.s. I was able to snag a few camelback keys off of Ebay so they'll be part of my telegraph setup now. I'll make sure to take some pics.

It's pretty neet tho. I'm still using the boxes I built for my KOB's, but have replaced them with a local sounder, relay, and key. The local sounder and relay are screwed to the 'back' of the box while the key rests inside on the bottom so that nothing is on the fold-down part of the lid - it's devoted to workspace. Only drawback is that spectators can't see the equipment - but having the noise-makers INSIDE the box increases the NOISE about threefold. I'll have to make one just for display to show spectators now...........

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword