Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 12/03/2004 08:40:28 EDT
Subject: RE: Word Games During Re-created Msg Trafficing

Message Detail:
Let's remember that Scott was intended for 19thC people who needed to understand military terminology. Since that audience knew what a team (and a teamster) was, it was unnecessary to clutter his technical dictionary with terms they understood. It was not intended to teach English to English-speaking peaople.
Re-enactors (to my mind) are undertaking role-playing in a sense similar to a stage-actor. They must "learn their lines." And to that end, I fully agree with reminders of the "proper lines" and language of mid-19thC life. However, I also think it can become an affectation and an encumbrance when we introduce it too freely into our modern discourse--especially with "strangers" and those outside our somewhat narrow fixation. If it "turns them off" we shouldn't be using it. For example, I have no problem saying "I am, Sir, yr obt servt" in closing a missive in ye olden style, but would hesitate in substituting that for "Sincerely" or "Yours truly" in correspondence with the modern Army's Center of Military History (unless I knew the individual I was addressing).
When, for example, I address you associates as, collectively, "guys," I hope none of you will think I have reference to Scott's meaning. I'll try to remember never to do that when you're "on stage" in uniform and in the presence of an audience. Let's remember that this forum atracts people worl-over who seek information, not the impression of strange people.

PS I often say "head," referring to the "sinks."

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword