Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walter F. Mathers on: 05/23/2002 11:10:28 CDT
Subject: Developing a Federal Enlisted Signal Uniform for the Re-enacting Field of Service

Message Detail:
Ken,

Since you are, " thinking of getting some dark blue trousers just to make it a little more interesting", may I suggest that they be of the mounted pattern?

While some re-enactors of various time periods tend to create their own fictional wardrobe (SCA also stands for a completely different group of individuals known as the Society of Creative Anacronisms), signal re-enact-actors have a lot to choose from when it comes to what actually did exist. We have the benefit of many photographs. Do you remember seeing the image of an enlisted man wearing what seems to be a Federal naval officer's un-dress hat with the 1864 enlisted signal patch sewn to it?

I already mentioned Federal enlisted signalmen wearing general staff officer three-piece buttons didn't I? Many but not all images also showed three small buttons afixed to each cuff.

While Federal signalmen were known 'in-the-main to carry navy pattern 36 cal. Colt revolvers, we know that this was not a steadfast rule either. The early would-be corpsmen at Georgetown DC became the recipients of many odd ball donations from loyal Unionists, who, from their own collections, gave to the War effort. As to carbines, I'd recommend sticking with buying an 1959 model Sharpes instead of a Spencer Repeater Carbine that one may be correct for the entire period of service portray'd.

Walt

Message Link:

Signal Corps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword