Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Walt Mathers on: 07/28/2004 10:01:26 EDT
Subject: How It Evolved - Walter?

Message Detail:
The code, which constituted a comilation of abreviations was developed by Walter Phillips, a telegraph operator in the 1870's or early 80's if I recollect rightly (but don't quote me). Walter Phillips is listed conspicuously in an 1890's work entitled "Telegraphers To-day". Seems that 'Oprs' really appreciated his code.

For our period though, we have the 1859 Western Union "Ninety-Two Code" a numeric code which, incidentally, includes '30' and ''73' as well.

As to obtaining a feel for what may have become part of the Phillips Code, something more to our period of study may be found beginning at the foot of page 93 of Brown's signal history. This set of abbreviations was published along with a circular as general orders within the various departments of the Federal Signal Corps during the War. We have some of them included among the files within our archive.

Living Historians may wish to have knowledge of the Phillips Code if you are conducting a third-person interpretation and someone happens to ask or mention it 'as they have here at this site'. Its also good for 1860's field communication presenters to have a feel for what came after the war but only as conversational purposes as these tangents seldom help the masses to stay focused. I know I have a hard time just remembering (and retaining) the War-time stuff.

Best Regards,
Walt Mathers
``30``

Message Link:

SignalCorps Association Re-enactors' Division (SCARD)
View Parent Message

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword