Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: Dave Gaddy on: 09/15/2003 16:45:33 EDT
Subject: RE: A FEW ISSUES FOR THE REENACTOR SIGNAL CORPS COMMUNITY

Message Detail:
As Kipling would have said, there are circumstances in which you "blow out your brains and go to your Gawd like a soldier"--or head for a prison pen as a PW.
Reading your comments and John's, Mark, I tried to think back into Brown or otherwise for instances in which signal activity was that intimately involved with the ground combat--in which flag signaling (instead of voice, bugle, etc.) was used in the smoke and confusion to try and regulate the movement. Perhaps there were such times, but I came up short.
If the battle arena and relatively small number involved so constrains effective use of visual signals--as, for example, the terrain did at Chancellorsville, is it authentic to be trying? When precluded from effective use, signalmen were used as couriers or aides. If you can yell, blow a bugle and be heard, or "run over there in a couple of minutes," what's the purpose of flagging? A "side demo" can illustrate the observation and operational/"strategic" use of signals before, after, or even during the combat scenario, whereas trying to compete with regimental and national colors, smoke, etc., can seem silly to a lay audience, and miss the point. Karen has also spoken eloquently about keeping up signal unit morale, but there may be times when you'll have to fall back on Plan B--example, the band--there are times when they had to fall in as litter-bearers, instead of tooters. Am I off base?
View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword