Signal Corps Association Reenactors Division (SCARD)

Discussion Forum

Signal Corps Association Primary Web Site
[ Back to the listing ] [ Post Reply ] [ Help ] [ Search ]
[ List All Forums ]

Posted By: John E. Schultz on: 06/09/2003 11:15:24 EDT
Subject: DEDICATION (and some comments)

Message Detail:
Mark (et.al.)

Mark - sounds like you're volunteering to be hold SCARD's NORTH ATLANTIC REGION Camp of Instruction!(smiles)
Seriously - you already DO something. . . . .

And I love the use of the phrase "Willy-Nilly"!!!! (remember that commercial a while back. . . . )

We need the dedication or this thing will flop faster than a wet tangled flag..........

Please send an electronic version of your qualifications to me (The standards and proficiency levels you referred to). I'm thinking of something very specific - something formalized.

First develop a "Level of qualification Tree" (sort of what you did above). Then with each of those - break them down to individual tasks and sub-tasks, each of which require a qualifier's signature. Then once all the signatures are gained - the person sends the paperwork through their company/staff for approval - then to SCARD for final approval.

In the NAVY we called it JQR (Job Qualification Requirements) or PQS (Personnel Qualification Standards).
The Boy Scouts also use something similar for their badge system.

Here's YOUR list and a bit of my "Qualification Vision". . . . .

1) Learn to be a reenactor
2) Learn to be a civil war soldier
Although useful - we can't control this - and have to take it for a 'given' that the person already knows that. At least from a "SCARD" level

3) Learn the History of the Signal Corps
We put it out in the form of a booklet (or PDF file available online). The person reads and studies the file - then we offer a written test to be administered by a "Qualifyer". If passed - then we (leaders) establish that the individual cares enough to learn our past and is ready to proceed without a lot of TIME and MONEY put into their training. I'd imagine a written test just to JOIN would weed out those who really dont want to Do this as well.

4) Two-Element Code (added by me)

Here's where I might suggest a "Break in Path". Does the person want to do FLAGS or TELEGRAPH (Also the Company/Detachment gives input to the individual as to what they NEED)

FLAG BRANCH:

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - FLAG OPERATOR
4.5) Hand Signals
5) Learn to Flag
7) Learn to Read Signals

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - FLAG PARTY SUPERVISOR
8) Relay signaling
9) Tourches/Lantern Signaling
10) Learn De-Coding
11) Learn Coding Messages
12) Live Battle "on the fly" Coding/De-coding

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - FLAG TRAINER
10) Trainer Certification(s)

TELEGRAPH BRANCH:

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - TELEGRAPH OPERATOR

4.25) International Morse (added by me)
Our Telegraph operators must be versatile enought to work in both two element as well as International Morse. WE provide Training tapes (from a sounder or relay) in Int'l Morse so they can learn. Notice I say FROM A SOUNDER - becuase learning code from tones is darn near 180 degrees out from what a sounder/relay sounds like. A "WHOLE" different beast! I can produce these tapes. . . . . I can also produce a 10 hour class that will teach all the letters and numbers. . .

4.5) Circuit Procedures
Checking into the net - sending, receiving messages, record keeping, delivery verification, use of pro-words, etc. . . Of corse - we need to standardize/identify these before we teach them.

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - TELEGRAPH TECHNICIAN
5) Basic Electronics/Electrical Theory
As it applies to Telegraphy
6) Setting up a Telegraph Station
7) Cyphering/DeCyphering

QUALIFICATION LEVEL - TELEGRAPH TRAINER
8) Trainer Certification(s)

We should encourage all people to qualify in each PATH.

SIGNAL DETACHMENT OFFICER IN CHARGE

This person would be fully qualified in all the above and then demonstrate a firm command ability.

That is my vision. Let me know your thoughts, comments, additions, deletions, etc. . . . . . .

View Parent Message
Follow ups:

Post a follow up message
NAME:
EMAIL:
SUBJECT:
Type your Reply here:
NOTIFY ME: Yes No
This posting is a:
Comment
Question
Idea

Don't Agree
Challenge
Heads-Up!

Need Feedback
Meeting Request
LINK URL:
LINK TITLE:
IMAGE URL:

Message Search
Search ALL Forums
Filter Messages
Show messages for past days.
Name Search
Type in a full or partial name
Keyword Search
Enter keyword(s) you want to search for separated by a space.

Match Case?
Match ALL Keywords
Match ANY Keyword